One thing I noticed as Bridgerton starting gaining popularity last year was the rise in people layering corsets and harnesses to highlight their figure. As a lover of easy ways to elevate otherwise simple outfits, I was instantly intrigued. The easiest way to nail this look would be with a belt and the one I saw everywhere was the Loewe obi belt. With the strong possibility that I’ll be working from home majority of the time from now on I’ll have freedom to wear what I truly want to. Keeping that in mind I could see snatching my waist using a belt or harness as a go-to outfit. If I’m honest though I’m not really the type to spend $1000 on one thing so I decided to try out the look out using pieces I already owned. Instantly I thought of this denim crop top from ASOS I shared a while ago and as you can see it gave me a similar result! The great thing is that it’s an entirely new way to wear something I already have and layering a crop top like this makes my outfit feel more unique. If you want to figure out how to layer a crop top in a way that will work for you then keep scrolling for my tips.
How to Layer a Crop Top This Summer
Like trying anything you’ve not done before your biggest hurdle will be your comfort level. If layering a crop top is a foreign concept then you’ll need to do two things: choose the right crop top and take baby steps. Here’s my tips on finding the right crop top layering combo:
- If you are a crop top newbie: never fear I’m here to help! Your trick to pulling this look off is to layer a crop top or bralette over a longer piece. The key is deciding if you are trying to highlight your waist or chest. To draw attention to your amazing breasts layer a shorter, bralette style crop top over a longline top or long sleeve mini dress. If you want to create an hour glass choose a crop top that stops at the smallest part of your waist. One thing to keep in mind here is colors. Remember darker colors minimize while bright colors expand so if you’re wanting to highlight your chest to distract from you belly pair a lighter colored crop top with a darker colored piece under it. Depending on your comfort level you can either show a lot of skin by wearing shorts or a more modest take would be to wear pants.
- If you’re comfortable in crop tops: you’re already pretty comfortable with the idea of showing skin so try layering a short sleeve or bandeau style crop top over a longer sleeved crop top. If you want your skin to show just tuck your longer piece so that it’s hidden under the crop top. You already know what bottoms you like best since you’re a pro at styling a crop top so this will give you a way to add interest to a simple look while keeping the same proportions you love!
Pin this outfit as a reminder to try something new this summer. If you’re looking for even more ways to take your style to the next level:
- Check out another way to wear this denim crop top.
- Here’s a bralette crop top outfit idea and a tie front crop top outfit.
- Find even more ways to style what you already own.
Shop my Crop Top Picks
I wanna know, what’s your fave spring outfit combo? Tell me in the comments below!
Don't Miss a Look! Get Every Outfit Delivered Straight to your Inbox by Clicking the Button Below!