If you told high school me that I’d be rocking crop tops with the confidence of Tyra Banks, I would have laughed. Growing up in the late 90’s/early 2000’s the style icons that a young average weight mixed girl in a predominately white town had to look up to was Paris Hilton, the Olsen twins and Tyra Banks. What do the all have in common? They were rail thin, not a curve in sight. What solidified this beauty standard for me was that a lot of my classmates and teammates who attracted the cute boys were also rail thin. So as you can guess I spent pretty much my whole high school and college years thinking I was fat. As crazy at is seems I really spent 20+ years of my life thinking that because I wasn’t a size 0, because my thighs touched, because my stomach had never been flat, because my arms do the thing, that I was fat. And like everyone else who thought they were fat in that era, that meant certain clothes were off limits. Celebs were constantly shamed like Tyra was when she reached 150lbs and had a faint hint of cellulite in her bikini to serve as a reminder of what clothes non-rail women weren’t supposed to wear. Thinking back on this a sad realization hit me, I avoided wearing so many things because I thought my body wasn’t made for clothes. It wasn’t until much later that I learned the importance of finding clothes that actually fit my body. I share this story with you in hopes that you aren’t doing what I did. That you aren’t secretly wanting to try something but holding yourself back because you think it might not look good on you. I’m here to tell you that if there’s something you want to wear, rock it! You only get to live this life once. Your body is beautiful as it is and you deserve to dress how you want to. So if you’re wanting to rock a crop top but are unsure where to start, keep reading for my tips below.
How to Pick a Timeless Wrap Front Crop Top
I know it can be hard to decide if a piece like this is worth the investment. While I’m definitely the friend who will encourage you to treat yourself, I will always suggest when it comes to buying clothes that you sleep on a purchase. With some rest and fresh eyes you can see a little more clearly if it’s what you truly want. When you choose wisely and take care of your pieces, you’ll find yourself reaching for them year after year without hesitation. If you’re looking to pick a wrap front crop top that won’t go out of style, here are my tips:
- Start with the style. There are so many options from sleeveless, short sleeve, long sleeve, button ups, to pull overs. This is where you want to really be strategic. Take time to find a style that makes you feel most confident while working with your lifestyle.
- Choose your fabric. You already know material plays such a huge role in how your piece will fit, feel and how long it will last. Personally I stick with cotton/elastic blends because they are breathable and have stretch. Don’t buy something in a fussy fabric that you won’t make time to care for properly!
- Pick Your Color Pattern. For a piece that will last years I also suggest sticking with solid colors or timeless prints. If you have a favorite color that you wear all the time feel free to branch out but the key is to make sure that the piece still feels wearable in 5+ years.
Be sure to Pin this outfit so you can refer back to it on those days you don’t know what to wear. If you’re looking for even more ways to take your style to the next level:
- Here’s another classic way to style a wrap front crop top.
- Check out more crop top outfit ideas.
- Find even more ways to style what you already own.
Shop my wrap Front Crop Top Picks
I wanna know, what’s your fave spring outfit combo? Tell me in the comments below!
Don't Miss a Look! Get Every Outfit Delivered Straight to your Inbox by Clicking the Button Below!