Twice as Nice
One sure fire way to always look good, especially when it’s sweltering hot out, is with a matching set. Even for people who don’t like to be matchy matchy it’s a quick outfit that always looks effortless. And as the queen of outfits that turn heads without having to do a lot of work, I’ll warn you that you’re about to see all kinds of sets from me this summer. One of my personal favorites is this matching skirt set made of linen that I scored from Forever 21 about 4 years ago. I’m all about pieces that I can easily mix and match with what I already own. It saves me money because I won’t have to buy more clothes to match and I’m more likely to wear it often if it goes with the pieces in my closet that I love to wear. The neutral colors and timeless striped pattern go with just about anything. Also the breathable fabrics means I’m constantly reaching for it to beat the heat. Plus this skirt set can easily be dressed down with some sneakers or dress up like I did with this look. To shop my outfit, learn how to choose a matching set that will work for you, or see my matching set picks keep scrolling.
Choosing the Right Matching Set
If you’ve been one the fence about getting a matching set, I’m here to help you out! Having spent the past 5 years mindfully curating my wardrobe I’m usually able rely on my gut these days to tell me if a set will be something I’ll actually wear. That being said from years of honing my style and shopping here’s my tips on picking a matching set that will work for you:
- Pick Your Set: the first step is figuring out what matching set will work best for you. This means really understanding your style preferences from sleeve length, crop tops, skirts or pants. My biggest tip here is to take a step back and think about what you feel most comfortable in and what would work best for most occasions in your life. Shirts and pants sets will work year round and for almost anything while crop sets or skirt sets might not be appropriate depending on where you work.
- Choose Your Color or Pattern: this is the second most important part when choosing a set. You want to make sure that you’re choosing colors or prints that you’ll want to wear not just this season but for years to come. Neutral colors are always safe and so are signature prints like stripes, leopard, or gingham. This doesn’t mean you can’t go bold. Just make sure you’re choosing colors or patterns that suit your style.
- Focus the Fabric: don’t overlook what your materials are made of because this makes a huge impact on comfort. Blends like cotton with linen and spandex will be able to be worn from late spring through mid fall while heavier blends like polyester with cotton won’t be as breathable for summer but can work for fall, winter and spring. The goal is finding what makes sense for where you live and you want it to feel good on your body as your wear it too!
Pin this outfit as a reminder to try something new this summer. If you’re looking for even more ways to take your style to the next level:
- Here’s another matching skirt set outfit idea you can try.
- Check out my first ever matching set outfit to see what elements of my style have stayed the same and what’s changed.
- Find even more ways to style what you already own.
Shop my Skirt Set Picks
Don't Miss a Look! Get Every Outfit Delivered Straight to your Inbox by Clicking the Button Below!